Thursday, March 9, 2017

388th post - 9 Mar 17 - 2032 EST - FINAL EDITION

"Sometimes being awake and up for 17 hours ain't quite time enough for getting

everything accomplished in 1 day."

Google search: About 880,000 results (1.11 seconds)

No results found for "Sometimes being awake and up for 17 hours ain't quite

time enough for getting everything accomplished in 1 day."

*Our renter, Ryan Michael, told me this morning that he had purchased the

computer yesterday at Walmart that is just like the one I'm typing on now on

the top of my dresser. I had advised him to use Blogger.com to purchase a

domain and to post his stories to. I have made a lot of mistakes since I began

telling the stories of my life and, I believe, I can help him avoid some of those

same mistakes.

*Out of necessity, I had to talk to a lot of people yesterday either by phone or

in person. I'm use to being alone and a day like yesterday wears me out

mentally. I certainly hope today doesn't match that of yesterday.

*6:30 PM 3/9/2017 EST. I'm finally back after running around almost all day for

people in the house. To the BP in Smithville, to Leach's Garage for a hubcap for

the black 2000 VW and to pick up Bill from the Wooster Community Hospital.

No one in the house can drive, empty the dehumidifier, take out the trash and

other things. Sometime I feel like the "Lone Ranger."

And to beat it all, after I drove Bill home, I had to drive him to Rite Aid for his

prescription medications and then to Subway for sandwiches for everyone.

I guess you think I'm complaining and maybe I am a little, but I don't know what

the people in the house would do if I were dead? Just like I told you before.

I'm the oldest and the healthiest one in the house and I'm certainly glad for that.

I talking here about the healthiest not the old part.

I do owe someone for the proper amount of sleep I get. The prescription

medication that helps me to get 6 or more hours of sleep is a drug I call Sarah

Palin.

*"How did your day go.""Not bad. I signed up for Blogger.com and I've typed

into a text document the beginnings of my first story of my life. I also got a gmail

account.""Good. Do you need any help?""Maybe tomorrow when I'm finished

with my first story and need to paste it to Blogger.com.""I'll be here, I hope, until

about 3:00 PM and then I have to drive Bill and Carolyn to a salon get their hair

done.""Thanks, Forrest.""Your welcome, Ryan Michael.""I'll see you tomorrow."

"See you."

WE CELEBRATE TODAY

*Amerigo Vespucci Day

"Transcript of Amerigo Vespucci Day. The holiday should be celebrated on

May 10 every year because that is the day Amerigo left the harbor on his

first voyage. This holiday should be celebrated because he was the first to

realize that the land Columbus found is really The New World."

*Bang-Clang Day

"The March 9, 1862, battle between the Monitor and the Merrimack (CSS

Virginia) during the American Civil War (1861-65) was history’s first duel

between ironclad warships. The engagement, known as the Battle of Hampton

Roads, was part of a Confederate effort to break the Union blockade of Southern

ports, including Norfolk and Richmond, Virginia, that had been imposed at the

start of the war. Though the battle itself was inconclusive, it began a new era in

naval warfare."

*Barbie Day

*False Teeth Day - This is my special day because I have falsified teeth.

*Get Over It Day

*Joe Franklin Day

Born - Joseph Fortgang

March 9, 1926

The Bronx, New York, U.S.

Died - January 24, 2015 (aged 88)

Manhattan, New York, U.S.

Cause of death - Prostate cancer

*Popcorn Lovers Day

Observed the second Thursday of March

*World Kidney Day

Observed the second Thursday of March

www.checkiday.com

What Happened On This Day – March 9

2011 Space Shuttle Discovery completes its final mission.

The shuttle touched down at Kennedy Space Center in Florida after its journey

to the International Space Station (ISS).

*1976 The deadliest cable car accident in history occurs in Italy. 43 people died

when the cable car plunged 160 ft (50 meters) to the ground after the steel cable

had snapped. 14-year-old Alessandra Piovesana was the only survivor.

*1961 Ivan Ivanovich, a human dummy, travels into space.

On its test flight on board the Soviet spacecraft Korabl-Sputnik 4 (also known as

Sputnik 9), the mannequin was accompanied by a dog, reptiles, mice, and guinea

pigs.

*1959 The Barbie doll goes on sale. The American toy company Mattel claims

that more than one billion Barbie dolls have been sold so far, with about 3 dolls

being sold every second.

*1931 The electron microscope is invented. German physicist Ernst Ruska is

credited with the invention of the microscope. His first instrument allowed a

resolution of 50 picometers (trillionths of a meter).

www.checkiday.com

WAR

*6:31 AM 3/9/2017 EST.

US mulls deploying up to 1000 'reserve' troops for ISIS fight, report says.

Fox News - ‎5 hours ago‎

The United States is considering deploying up to 1,000 soldiers to Kuwait as a

reserve force in the fight against ISIS in the region, Reuters reported on

Wednesday.

*6:41 AM 3/9/2017 EST.

Beginning of full article:

"U.S. Fast-Tracks Missile Defense System To South Korea, Drawing China's Ire

March 9, 2017, 5:06 AM ET. ROB SCHMITZ and ELISE HU.

"North Korea again tested ballistic missiles this week, firing four of them into the

waters near Japan. Just days later, the U.S. military announced that part of a

controversial missile defense system arrived at Osan Air Base in South Korea for

deployment as early as April.

The system, called THAAD, an acronym for Terminal High Altitude Area Defense,

has been the source of much controversy in South Korea. Critics say the approval

process to install it was rushed, and neighboring China is furious about the

deployment...."

I served in South Korea in 1965 and 1966 on a missile site about 1 hour east of

Osan Air Base as a sentry dog handler. At that time the road from Osan Air Base

to our site was a dirt road and the average annual income for a Korean was about

$165 a year, I believe. That was a little over 50 years ago and things have changed

a lot since then.

UNITED STATES

*6:34 AM 3/9/2017 EST.

Protests, some arrests during International Women's Day events across US.

Fox News - ‎14 hours ago‎

Many women across the country stayed home from work, zipped up their

wallets, wore red and attended rallies in a bid to show their economic strength

and impact on society, marking International Women's Day on Wednesday.

UNIVERSE

*7:50 AM 3/9/2017 EST.

Indicators show potatoes can grow on Mars.

Phys.Org - ‎22 hours ago‎

Cubesat contained Mars atmosphere emulating Mars oxygen, carbon dioxide

and atmospheric pressure. Credit: International Potato Center.

*7:08 AM 3/9/2017 EST. I just pooped and peed. "Pop, pop, fizz, fizz, oh what a

relief it is."

*7:53 AM 3/9/2017 EST.

US officials keep watchful eye on yellow fever outbreak in Brazil. CNN - ‎2 hours

ago‎.

(CNN) An outbreak of yellow fever in rural Brazil is raising concerns that the

disease could spread across borders to the US, like Zika, say two health experts

writing in an essay published in the New England Journal of Medicine.

SPORTS

*7:47 AM 3/9/2017 EST.

Champions League 2017: Barcelona routs Paris Saint-Germain 6-1 in astonishing

comeback. CNN - ‎28 minutes ago‎

(CNN) Its motto is "More than a club" and Spain's Barcelona produced more than

a result Wednesday routing France's Paris Saint-Germain 6-1 to qualify for the

Champions League quarterfinals.

8:58 AM 3/9/2017 EST.

The Ringer (blog)

Jerry Jones does right by Tony Romo in releasing him. NFL.com - ‎16 hours ago‎

The impending release of quarterback Tony Romo, as reported by NFL

Network's Ian Rapoport and Jane Slater on Wednesday, would not have

happened without one of the finest seasons for a rookie quarterback in NFL

history by Dak Prescott.

TECHNOLOGY

*7:45 PM 3/9/2017 EST. Self-Driving Cars Will Turn Intersections into High-Speed

Ballet - NBCNews.com - 11 minutes ago

BUSINESS

*7:44 AM 3/9/2017 EST.

Electronics store RadioShack files for bankruptcy for second time in 2 years.

Fox News - ‎3 hours ago‎

FORT WORTH, Texas - Troubled electronics retailer RadioShack has filed for

bankruptcy for the second time in just over two years. The Fort Worth,

Texas-based retailer filed its petition in bankruptcy court in Delaware on

Wednesday.

ENTERTAINMENT

*6:37 AM 3/9/2017 EST.

YouTube TV's Biggest Advantage. Motley Fool - ‎17 hours ago‎

YouTube recently announced its plans to offer a live television streaming

service to compete with the likes of DirecTV Now, PlayStation Vue, Sling TV,

and more traditional pay-TV operators.

*Nintendo Switch

Also known as - NX (codename)

Developer - Nintendo

Manufacturer - Nintendo PTD

Type - Hybrid video game console

Release date - WW: March 3, 2017

Retail availability 2017–present

Introductory price - US$299.99, JP¥29,980, £279.99, AU$469.95

Units sold ~393,700 (UK and JP)

Operating system - Nintendo Switch system software

System-on-chip used - Custom Nvidia Tegra (20 nm) [4]

Memory - 4 GB LPDDR4

Storage - Internal flash memory: 32 GB

Removable storage microSD/microSDHC/microSDXC up to 2 TB

Display - 6.2-inch, 1280 × 720 LCD @ 237 ppi

Graphics - Up to 1080p (1920 × 1080) while docked - Up to 720p while

undocked

Sound - Linear PCM 5.1ch (via HDMI)

Stereo speakers

Headphone jack

Controller input - Joy-Con, Pro Controller

Touchpad - Capacitive

Connectivity - 2.4/5 GHz 802.11ac Wi-Fi

Bluetooth 4.1

1 × USB 3.0 (on dock)

2 × USB 2.0 (on dock)

1 × USB Type-C (on unit)

Power - 4310 mAh, 3.7 V lithium-ion battery

Dimensions - 23.9 by 10.2 by 1.4 centimetres (9.41 in × 4.02 in × 0.55 in)

(Console only)

Weight - 297 grams (10.5 oz) (Console only)

Website - www.nintendo.com/switch

*Best movies at the box office:

1.   Logan

2.   Get Out

3.   The Shack

4.   The LEGO Batman Movie

5.   The LEGO Batman Movie LG/S

6.   Before I Fall

7.   Hidden Figures

8.   The Great Wall

9.   Fifty Shades Darker - Uni.

10. La La Land

"Are we more free or less free because of WikiLeaks?"

No results found for "Are we more free or less free because of WikiLeaks?"

*6:23 AM 3/9/2017 EST. Outside contractors for CIA reportedly eyed in

WikiLeaks dump probe. Fox News - ‎1 hour ago‎

Investigators working to find the source of this week's Wikileaks dump are

likely set to focus on outside contractors for the CIA, The Wall Street Journal

reported, citing people familiar with the matter.

*6:27 AM 3/9/2017 EST. GOP healthcare plan clears first hurdle. CNN - ‎1 hour

ago.‎

Washington (CNN). After an 18-hour session, the House Ways and Means

Committee has become the first to approve the Republicans' Obamacare

repeal bill.

*7:48 PM 3/9/2017 EST. GOP Health Bill Clears 2 House Panels After Marathon

Sessions - New York Times - ‎5 hours ago‎

Today    PARTLY_CLOUDY   50° 28°

Fri         CLOUDY                     31° 12°

Sat         PARTLY_CLOUDY   25° 14°

Sun        PARTLY_CLOUDY   29° 15°

*8:37 AM 3/9/2017 EST. It's going to be a glorious day and the last for awhile

according to the forecast from above. The outdoor temperature is 49° and the

humidity is 48% which is the closes to being alike that I've seen for awhile. The

wind is blowing in from the west at about 3 mph (miles per hour), a long way

from the 30 + mph of yesterday and I'm going barefooted in the yard.

*I'm waiting for at least 4 days in a row of temperatures over 40° so I can repair

the brown areas in the yard with Scott's Repair Mix.

*5:04 PM 3/9/2017 EST. Temperature is 45% and the humidity is 46%. The last of

the good weather for awhile. Durn it.