Sunday, March 12, 2017

391st post- 12 Mar 17 - 2036 EDST - FINAL EDITION

*6:18 AM 3/12/2017 EDST. "A reminder to start off: If you live in the U.S., Canada

or in Mexican cities along the U.S. border, make sure you’ve set your clocks and

watches forward an hour. (Europe switches March 26.)" By ADEEL HASSAN and

ANDREW HINDERAKER - MARCH 12, 2017 The New York Times

"You ain't in charge of living or dying. God or the devil is in charge of that."

No results found for "You ain't in charge of living or dying. God or the devil is

in charge of that."

*My heart stopped dead in February of 1998. I was legally dead for about 10

minutes the first time and for 1 to 2 minutes about 3 times after that.  The

doctors said that I suffered some brain damage as a result and would only live

for about a year if my sources are correct. So, I'm still upon this earth after 19

years this last month. Why am I still alive? I remember at the time I was upset

because being dead for those few minutes was the most peaceful time in my

life.

There are some questions I've thought about since my heart stopped. Why was I

allowed to live and some small child was made to die? Could not a small child

add more to the goodness of the world with many years of life left to live than

I who have just a few or more years left to live? I do not understand the working

of our Lord and the Heavens? Will I never know the answers to these questions?

Perhaps not.

But I still believe a child with many years left to live should live in place of me who

has only a few short years of life to live.

WE CELEBRATE TODAY

*Check Your Batteries Day - The only battery I have is in my defibrillator in my

right chest.

Observed the second Sunday of March

*Girl Scout Day - I'm always thrilled to give to the Girl Scouts at the entrance to

Walmart and other places.

*National Alfred Hitchcock Day

*National Baked Scallops Day - I love fish of all kinds, raw or not.

*National Plant a Flower Day - I would like to plant a flower, but "Today (it's

going to be) PARTLY _CLOUDY   28° 17°.

*Purim

Observed the 14th of Adar II in the Hebrew calendar

*The Start of Daylight Savings Time

Observed the second Sunday of March

*World Day Against Cyber Censorship

On This Day in History, March 12

What Happened On This Day – March 12

*1967 Suharto rises to power in Indonesia. His presidency, which lasted 31 years,

was overshadowed by crass human rights violations and the occupation of East

Timor.

*1947 The Truman doctrine is proclaimed. In his speech before Congress, U.S.

President Harry S. Truman defined his foreign relations priorities, which

included military and economic support to Turkey and Greece to prevent the

spread of communism there.

*1938 Hitler invades Austria. The occupation of Hitler's homeland is known as

Anschluss, which is the German word for annexation.

*1930 Mahatma Gandhi embarks on his Salt March. The 240-mile march was an

act of civil disobedience to protest the British monopoly on salt. It was one of the

most significant events during the Indian independence movement.

*1918 Moscow becomes Russia's capital city. St. Petersburg lost its status as the

Russian capital following the Revolution of 1917, which dismantled the Tsarist

autocracy.

"Sometimes the ramblings of an old man are the made-up demented mind of his

past."

Google search: About 151,000 results (1.67 seconds)

No results found for "Sometimes the ramblings of an old man are the made-up

demented mind of his past."

QUOTES, RAMBLINGS AND SUCH

*Another quote I remember from long ago, "if you can't cut the mustard, honey,

get out of the basement." Thank you, Lord, for allowing me to remember things

from my distant past.

*"If you are looking to restore your energy, look younger, and reverse disease

then ashwagandha may be the herb you’re looking for. As you’re about to see,

ashwagandha benefits are impressive.

Ashwagandha, is an adaptogenic herb popular in Ayurvedic medicine that has

shown incredible results for lowering cortisol and balancing thyroid hormones.

In India, ashwagandha is known as the “strength of the stallion” since it has

traditionally been used to strengthen the immune system after illness.

Ashwagandha has also been referred to as Indian ginseng because of its ability

to enhance stamina and has extraordinary stress relieving properties."

If you are interested read more from Dr. Axe:

*10:08 AM 3/12/2017 EDST. I just had a nice poop and pee and I'm now going to

have an Orleans sardine sandwich with mustard and a slice of tomato because

I've got room for it now. And I'm going to take my morning drugs too.

SPORTS

*6:18 AM 3/12/2017 EDST. The unofficial three-week sports holiday — a.k.a.

March Madness — begins today, with the selection of men’s and women’s

college basketball teams in the N.C.A.A. tournament. By ADEEL HASSAN

and ANDREW HINDERAKER - MARCH 12, 2017 The New York Times.

*10:59 AM 3/12/2017 EDST. Bracketology: Duke and North Carolina nab

No. 1 seeds over Gonzaga and Arizona. USA TODAY - 33 minutes ago

BUSINESS

*6:18 AM 3/12/2017 EDST. The longest streak of private-sector job growth in U.S.

history has continued into the first full month of Mr. Trump’s term.

The Labor Department said the economy added 235,000 jobs in February. U.S.

stock indexes reacted positively, but declined over all for the week. By ADEEL

HASSAN and ANDREW HINDERAKER - MARCH 12, 2017 The New York Times.

"Human acts of kindness bring tears to these old eyes of mine."

No results found for "Human acts of kindness bring tears to these old eyes of

mine."

GOOD NEWS

*6:18 AM 3/12/2017 EDST. .... "Chance the Rapper contributed $1 million to

Chicago’s public school system; the cast of “Hamilton” donated their salaries

from an evening performance to support low-income women; and an 86-year-

old man who has collected paper and aluminum products for decades

gave $400,000 to a children’s home in Georgia." By ADEEL HASSAN and

ANDREW HINDERAKER - MARCH 12, 2017 The New York Times.

My eyes are filled with tears again. Human acts of kindness always get to me

every time.

SCIENCE

*6:18 AM 3/12/2017 EDST. An international team concluded that space dust is

found on buildings, parking lots, sidewalks and park benches.

By ADEEL HASSAN and ANDREW HINDERAKER - MARCH 12, 2017 The New York

Times.

*6:18 AM 3/12/2017 EDST. In other science news, some of the alarm over the

mosquito-borne Zika virus is receding, more than a year after it was declared

a global health emergency.

But for families of Zika babies, like several we followed in Brazil’s impoverished

northeast, the disastrous effects are only deepening. By ADEEL HASSAN and

ANDREW HINDERAKER - MARCH 12, 2017 The New York Times.

*8:31 AM 3/12/2017 EDST. "Turkey will take steps against the Netherlands until

it apologizes: minister." - Reuters - 15 minutes ago.

Update: 8:42 AM 3/12/2017 EDST. "Turkey promises harsh retaliation after

Netherlands bars ministers" - Reuters - 16 minutes ago.

This is the second day of the war of words between Turkey and the Dutch. Seems

like a feud between the Hatfields and the McCoys.

*8:31 AM 3/12/2017 EDST. "South Korea's Ousted President Park Leaves Blue

House in Disgrace." NBCNews.com - 31 minutes ago.

Most Asian leaders from long ago would fall on their sword if disgraced like

President Park.

*10:59 AM 3/12/2017 EDST. South Africa's ANC says must end corruption,

infighting to curb decline - Reuters - 23 minutes ago.

*10:59 AM 3/12/2017 EDST. Eskimo village aims to serve up reindeer meat far

and wide - Fox News - 23 minutes ago

"Being successful in politics is being a better con artist than your opponent."

No results found for "Being successful in politics is being a better con artist

than your opponent."

*6:18 AM 3/12/2017 EDST. "The ouster of South Korea’s president, being

celebrated in Seoul,.... is reshaping the geopolitical map of East Asia.

Stability and North Korea’s recent missile tests will be high on the agenda as

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson visits the region this week, with stops in

Beijing, Seoul and Tokyo.

But some global allies fear that the Trump presidency’s harsh language toward

minorities, the news media, migrants and the European Union, as well as his

praise for authoritarian leaders, is eroding Washington’s moral authority.

Hawaii is suing to block Mr. Trump’s revised travel ban." By ADEEL HASSAN

and ANDREW HINDERAKER - MARCH 12, 2017 The New York Times.

*6:18 AM 3/12/2017 EDST. "Can Paul Ryan get to 218?

That’s how many votes the House speaker will need to send the Republicans’

replacement plan for the Affordable Care Act to the Senate, where some

rebellious members of the party say it will be “dead on arrival.”...."

"....The nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office’s official judgment on the

plan’s cost and impact is expected Monday, and it could make or break the

bill." By ADEEL HASSAN and ANDREW HINDERAKER - MARCH 12, 2017 The

New York Times.

*6:18 AM 3/12/2017 EDST. .... "Michael Flynn, Mr. Trump’s ousted national

security adviser, acknowledged that he worked as a foreign agent last year

representing the interests of the Turkish government in a dispute with the

U.S." By ADEEL HASSAN and ANDREW HINDERAKER - MARCH 12, 2017 The

New York Times.

*6:18 AM 3/12/2017 EDST.  The F.B.I. is hunting for the source who gave

WikiLeaks a huge cache of documents revealing tools and techniques the

C.I.A. uses to break into smartphones, computers and even smart TVs. The

likeliest culprit is a disaffected insider. By ADEEL HASSAN and ANDREW

HINDERAKER - MARCH 12, 2017 The New York Times.

"Sometimes the weather ain't fit for human habitation."

Google search: About 257,000 results (1.19 seconds)

No results found for "Sometimes the weather ain't fit for human habitation."

Today   PARTLY_CLOUDY   28° 17°

Mon       SNOW                        36° 26°

Tue        SHOWERS_SNOW  28° 15°

Wed      SHOWERS_SNOW   22° 10°

*7:40 AM 3/12/2017 EDST. At this time North Carolina is receiving snowfall

where my brother Jerry and his wife Janet have a home, but they are at their

winter place in Lake Wales, Florida where they are enjoying on this Sunday

morning a temperature of 65°, a humidity of 92%, cloudy skies, 6% chance of

precipitation and an almost silent wind of 3 mph (miles per hour). My brother,

Roland, also has a place there as well as my Uncle E. C. and Aunt Ruth.

*9:20 AM 3/12/2017 EDST. Went outdoors to check my old all weather gauge.

The temperature is 24°, the humidity is 64%, the wind is blowing in from the

northwest at about 3 mph (miles per hour) and the sun is shining and sharing

the Heavens with puffy grey and mostly white clouds.